Re: BGP Homing Question

  • From: Patrick W Gilmore
  • Date: Fri Aug 27 11:20:57 2004

On Aug 27, 2004, at 8:58 AM, Joe Abley wrote:

On 27 Aug 2004, at 08:13, Rick Lowery wrote:

I know�they would not be�good Internet citizen, but�if they needed to do this for a temp basis does anyone see an issue?
There's not much bad citizenry in what you are suggesting: the assigning-RIR problem is a non-problem, and your two sites are still only going to originate one prefix each (which they would presumably do even if you had a separate LIR assignment for the European node).
There is zero "bad citizenry" in this, and don't let anyone tell you differently. It is your netblock, you get to use it as needed. This is much better than getting another /20 for an EU site that only needs a /24.

Also, filtering will not be an issue, if you are careful. Anyone who does not hear the /24 will hear the /20. Packets for the /24 will go to your US upstream. As long as your US upstream peers with your EU upstream, and does not filter the /24 being announced over that peering link, they will send the bits where they belong. Since this is much more common than the alternative, you will likely have full connectivity.

Anyone knows who filters these days? Sprint stopped when Sean left. Verio stopped when Randy left. I don't know anyone beating that drum any more. (Kinda nice, actually.) I've heard some Asian ISPs do, but don't remember who.

--
TTFN,
patrick