optics pricing (Re: Weird GigE Media Converter Behavior)

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Wed Aug 25 01:39:59 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, John R. Sosebee wrote:

> I have to agree .. would want not the expense of this added in.

At the huge markup Cisco does regarding their optics, they have the margin
to do this without hiking the price. They're already pricing in a complete
SDH system in their optics markup.

I noticed that the CRS-1 is now in the Cisco pricelist.

4 port OC192 VSR $330k
4 port OC192 SR  $630k
4 port OC192 IR  $1030k

I happen to know a 10GE SR Xenpak can be had at $1600 and LR (80km) at
$5900 from manufacturer. The same laser can do OC192.

Is there anyone who can justify this pricing with anything else than
"because we can?"

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]