Re: Ship seized for cutting Sri Lanka's internet link

  • From: Dave Katz
  • Date: Tue Aug 24 12:52:47 2004

 As of this writing, I have
 learned that nearly the entire state of Minnesota was recently cut
 off from the Internet for 13 hours because it had only one primary
 connection to the global Net, and that link went down. If Minnesota,
 of all places, is so vulnerable, one can imagine how tenuous many
 international links must be.

Hm, I remember cutting off the entire Pacific Rim once, from my
basement in Michigan, after typing the wrong command.  I had to call
Jeff Burgan to reboot the IBM RT at Ames to bring it back.  I guess
things haven't changed all *that* much in 15 years.