Weird GigE Media Converter Behavior

  • From: J. Oquendo
  • Date: Tue Aug 24 12:44:59 2004

Hello all, wondering if anyone has seen or experienced this same problem.
Currently deploying an OC12 on a campus network and am using Netgear media
converters. Set up the lines and had lit fiber to the building I needed it
to go to. On one end (main drop) I had light and tested the connectivity
which worked fine, on the other side, when I jacked up my Netgear, it
flickered. Now, when I went to swap out the fiber, I noticed a full
contact between the wires and the converter dropped it out. Meaning if I
had the wires not fully plugged it lit, if I plugged them entirely in, it
dropped.

So... I ran to the other building and tried to replicate it there, and it
did the same. I figured bad media converter so I swapped it out, next one
worked fine. However, I took the media converter and swapped the funky
acting one to yet another building and it worked fine. Anyone care to
offer a thought on this? Relevant to my media converter? Bad line,
"Murphy's Law", etc?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
J. Oquendo
GPG Key ID 0x51F9D78D
Fingerprint 2A48 BA18 1851 4C99

CA22 0619 DB63 F2F7 51F9 D78D
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x51F9D78D

sil @ politrix . org    http://www.politrix.org
sil @ infiltrated . net http://www.infiltrated.net

"How can we account for our present situation unless we
believe that men high in this government are concerting
to deliver us to disaster?" Joseph McCarthy "America's
Retreat from Victory"