Re: More on Sri Lanka fiber outage....

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Mon Aug 23 23:45:54 2004

David Lesher wrote:

They better hope the cargo is valuable; otherwise they will
own one rusting hulk and have to deal with it.

It's a break bulk ship - a large container vessel for shipping extra large or awkwardly sized cargo like coal / fertilizer / oil pipes etc

Built in 1978 and has seen real hard use every day it's been in service as far as I can see from googling out the marine registry

I'm sure its owners (the Shipping Corporation of India) would be happy to give them the ship for free.

Valuable? The consignment belongs to whoever consigned it, and I guess all the shipper has to do is to remove it from the impounded ship and book space on some other rust bucket. Should be fairly easy - those are fairly crowded waters.

srs