Re: Precise per GB traffic calculations.

  • From: Tom (UnitedLayer)
  • Date: Fri Aug 20 17:29:29 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Drew Weaver wrote:
>             Does anyone know of a solution that offers precise methods of
> tracking bandwidth utilizations at the per Megabyte or Gigabyte level and
> not at the rate of transfer level?

I've used a tool called "IOG", which works to some extent, but it looks
like it has problems with 64bit counters.

> Some people are asking me if we can bill them in this manner, and I'm
> questioning whether the stats that the switch are giving us are that
> accurate.

Imagine this scenario:
Customer Buys 600GB of "transfer"
Customers transfers 600GB @ 100Mbps for however many hours.

If you're being billed with 95th percentile, and your customer is being
billed on transfer, guess who gets the short end of the stick...