Re: "scanning" e-mail [WAS: 3 Free Gmail invites]

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Fri Aug 20 09:27:47 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2004, at 3:06 PM, Jay Hennigan wrote:
>
> > Are you saying that those ridiculous boilerplate disclaimers similar to
> > the following that annoyingly appear tagged to email (including that
> > sent
> > to public mailing lists) really mean something?
>
> [SNIP]
>
> I got complete agreement from every JD about the disclaimers at the
> bottom - they cannot tell you after you have received the e-mail that
> you cannot keep the e-mail.  Someone sends you something, it is yours.
> Period.  (Of course, every single one then back-peddled and talked
> about how nothing is certain if it goes to court and typical CYA Lawyer
> BS.)
>
> So at least the part about "if you are not the intended recipient, I
> get your first born 'cause you already read the e-mail before seeing
> this disclosure" is complete and utter BS.

i got told otherwise, but again this hasnt been tested in a court by me. i
forget the exact detail in the conversation but it was comparing the disclaimer
to what you get in regular mail.. so things like confidentiality, opening an
attachment meaning you agree to things are allegedly okay.

as you say tho this cannot be extended to some things such as by reading this
you owe me $1m etc but the reasonable and logical bits are allegedly enforceable
to some degree

Steve