O/T: Nanog Friday night useless chatter was:RE: Specialty Technical Publishers

  • From: Michel Py
  • Date: Fri Aug 20 00:09:39 2004

> Mike Lewinski wrote:
> In any event, after doing some googling and finding other
> victims of this company, I've decided to register
> SpecialtyTechnicalPublishersSucks.com in order to publicly
> document their abuses.

As being someone that occasionally does the same kind of thing (and
considers the few dollars spent entertainment, not investment), don't
lose sleep over it.

Although I do expect some people to visit georgebushsucks.com and
johnkerrysucks.com, only in your wildest dreams anybody but search bots
is ever going to visit SpecialtyTechnicalPublishersSucks.com (or
goldengatevwsucks.com or haywardvwsucks.com) out of the blue.

You will indeed get some non-bots hits on the site but they will all
come from search engines or cross-links and none from people typing
SpecialtyTechnicalPublishersSucks.com in their browser out of the blue.
You would get the same number of hits on
http://home.myISP.com/~mlewinski/SpecialtyTechnicalPublishersSucks.html.

> Sooner or later someone will have the time and resources to
> fight them all the way- perhaps I can lend some ammo.

IMHO this someone is the BBB (I do use it to qualify customers).
Unrelated and even more off-topic, www.resellerratings.com has worked
good for me too.

> Owen DeLong wrote:
> Ah... But, the problem here is you registered "goldengatevw.com"
> and "haywardvw.com".  They'd have a much harder time fending off
> an en pro per motion for summary dismissal if you had registered
> domains like "godengatevwsucks.com" and "haywardvwsucks.com".
> [SNIP]

Agree with Owen; this was not the wisest move (and I have done a number
of dumb things myself).

Michel.