Re: "scanning" e-mail [WAS: 3 Free Gmail invites]

  • From: Jay Hennigan
  • Date: Thu Aug 19 15:14:32 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Robert Bonomi wrote:

> > I believe your last statement is factually incorrect.  I absolutely
> > _can_ do anything I please with "your" e-mail you send to me.  Not only
> > that, I also believe I _may_ do it.  You send me e-mail, the e-mail is
> > now mine.
>
> Well, legally, "yes, and no".
>
> >            I can post it publicly,
>
> You _cannot_ legally do that.  copyright infringement.
>
> >                                    put it into a search engine, or
> > deleted it, and you have no say in the matter.  Might not be polite,
> > but it certainly it not illegal.  Don't like it, don't send me e-mail.
> > (Please. :)
>
> You own the 'artifact' that is the message,  the 'intellectual property
> rights' (i.e. "copyright") remain with the author/sender.
>
> Doing thing with the message that require consent of the copyright holder
> are things you cannot do _without_ that consent.  :)
>
> 'Private use' copying is _not_ one of those things, however.

Are you saying that those ridiculous boilerplate disclaimers similar to
the following that annoyingly appear tagged to email (including that sent
to public mailing lists) really mean something?

NOTICE:  This communication may contain confidential and/or privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you
have received this communication in error, you are obligated to kill
yourself and anyone else who may have read it.  So there.  My disclaimer
is scarier than yours.  Nyaah.  You started this silly nonsense.  Knock
it off and I will too, ok?  Nobody reads it anyway.  You're not actually
reading this, are you?  I didn't think so.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - [email protected]
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV