Re: "scanning" e-mail [WAS: 3 Free Gmail invites]

  • From: Erik Parker
  • Date: Thu Aug 19 14:11:57 2004

I believe your last statement is factually incorrect. I absolutely _can_ do anything I please with "your" e-mail you send to me. Not only that, I also believe I _may_ do it. You send me e-mail, the e-mail is now mine. I can post it publicly, put it into a search engine, or deleted it, and you have no say in the matter. Might not be polite, but it certainly it not illegal. Don't like it, don't send me e-mail. (Please. :)
A dozen routers processed the packets for his message to nanog, postfix processed it at merit, it went through the headers and checked it against some files on on their side probably, then it went through some more routers and maybe the FBI's carnivore system along the way, then it hit my postfix which ran it against some more files.. then spam assassin took a whack at it, then procmail took hold of it and scanned the mail.. then it was sent to pine, and then pine read it.. then I finally read it. Merit runs a mailing list, they chose to do some of those things, then i run my mail server, I chose to do some of those thingslooks like you're right.. he has no control over what happens to his mail once he sends it.

Perhaps you are worried that Google will read your e-mail? Or maybe let others read it? Well, I hope you never send e-mail to anyone who does not run their own dedicated mail server on their own dedicated hardware and encrypt the SMTP session. 'Cause you are worried about something that has been happening for decades. (Plus I think you have to be more than a little arrogant to think anyone at Google gives a fart about the e-mail you send.)
This is all of the information google states that advertisers get:

'Advertisers receive a record of the total number of impressions and clicks for each ad'

That's it.. nothing more. If the guy is scared of robots/computers reading his mail or any of his information.. The internet is not the place for him.

He can choose not to email gmail directly, but he better not ever mail a mailing list.. and hope his friends never bounce a message of his to google.

But hey, it's your e-mail, send it or not as you please. I like the idea behind G-mail, I just can't deal with a web-based e-mail client. You don't, then don't use it.
Same here.. pine has served me well for years, and will continue to. I got a gmail account like many others, just to check it out.. It seems nice, easy.. the interface even works well under Firefox and Mozilla. I would select gmail over yahoo, just because their ads are non-intrusive and there isn't flashing crap all over my screen.