Re: Specialty Technical Publishers

  • From: Mike Lewinski
  • Date: Wed Aug 18 20:55:06 2004

Owen DeLong wrote:

No... It is not a good idea to /dev/null it. If you /dev/null it, the
doctrine of Acquiescence by Estoppel works in their favor (essentially latin
legalise for "Silence is Consent"). Instead, you should write on the invoice
that you never agreed to purchase the items and send it back to them certified
mail. Make a copy of the invoice with your annotation and keep it for your
records.
Thanks for the advice. I'm getting an opinion as to whether it is too late to follow this course, given that what led to my little outburst resulted from a call from their collections agency (I had actually asked to have it shipped back when it first arrived but the office manager had other more pressing things to do so it's been gathering dust, unopened except to look at the invoice). If we do send it back, it's going to be accompanied by an invoice for our shipping costs and time.

In any event, after doing some googling and finding other victims of this company, I've decided to register SpecialtyTechnicalPublishersSucks.com in order to publicly document their abuses. Sooner or later someone will have the time and resources to fight them all the way- perhaps I can lend some ammo.

So, this is an invitation to anyone who's had an experience with STP to submit it to me directly- I'll be happy to anonymize if requested when I publish it.

TIA,

Mike