Summary with further Question: Domain Name System protection

  • From: Joe Shen
  • Date: Mon Aug 16 23:06:05 2004

Hi,

thanks for your help on my question.

After reading carefully those comments, I reach the
following conclusion:

1. ISPs use firewall to protect their DNS server;

2. ACL on router may be a good solution for protecting
DNS servers, the policy could be  "only pass those
packets, whose originate from incustomers' IP address
blocks and destinate to UDP port 53 of DNS server";

3. Currently, it maybe a little difficult for firewall
to filter DNS requests not conforming to DNS document;
but, Nominum's product could;

4. Anycast is the most scalable and standard solution
for dispersed DNS server farm, while layer-4 switch
could deal could do with centralized server farm;

5. 'bogon'in BIND configuration could be used to
filter requests from RFC1918 address;

6. Firewall may become bottleneck of DNS server farm
in situation of DoS attack or situation of high
session rate;

7. It's good solution to divide DNS servers into two
groups, one for recursive lookup the other for
no-recuresive;

8. BIND should be configured carefully and there is
BIND secure template to follow

Have I missed something? And, I got another two
questions:

a) If firewall is used to protect DNS server farm,
could it do more than router's ACL while reaching the
same performance-cost ratio ? which one is usually
chosen by those ISPs having big customer numbers? (we
noticed DNS requests from our customers keep increase
in past months)

b) Is there any public available performance
evaluation on Nominum's product?

Any of your words will be highly appreciated.

Joe