Re: Verisign vs. ICANN

  • From: Patrick W Gilmore
  • Date: Mon Aug 16 16:42:16 2004

On Aug 16, 2004, at 4:13 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

[email protected] (Patrick W Gilmore) writes:

PS: I will patent it myself to prevent Versign from doing this.
And if they do, what's to stop the root operators from doing this.
the root server operators don't act collectively.
While correct, your statement does not answer the original question. :)

Remember, there are 13 IPs no one can get around - no other "TLD" to
register your domain name.
according to the whackos, we are the "legacy root" operators, and folks
ought to feel free to point their resolvers at any of the "alternative
root" operators instead.  YMMV.
Let's confine the discussion to the 99.99% of us who use the Internet .. uh .. "normally". (Best description I could think up.)

I mean, they are called "whackos" for a reason.

Flipped on its head, what's to stop the root operators from
circumventing anything Verisign or any other TLD operator does?
root server operators don't control the root zone, they only publish it.
some combination of itu (via the iso3166 process), icann/iana, ietf/iab,
and us-DoC are the folks you'd go to if you wanted a toplevel wildcard.
Actually, the root server operators absolutely do _control_ the root zone in very obvious operationally relevant ways.

Whether that control could be used - improperly or not - to, say, insert a wildcard record strikes me as much the same question as the Verisign action which started this thread....

--
TTFN,
patrick