Re: Verisign vs. ICANN

  • From: Andre Oppermann
  • Date: Mon Aug 16 15:12:33 2004

Paul Vixie wrote:
also, to me, as a domain holder under .com who uses my domain for more than
just a web site, i can't tolerate the lack of RCODE=3 when a "nearby" name
is used by mistake.  verisign promised not to use the connections for anything
nefarious, but they are not a public-benefit corporation and if they thought
that the best way to return value to their shareholders was to keyword-search
e-mail that was sent to them by mistake, then they would be stupid NOT to do
so.  (this has been called a strong argument for all TLD registries to be
required to be public-benefit corporations... foxes guarding chicken houses,
and so on.)
Just image if Versign one day would find out that they can implement some sort
of "ad-word" or "adsense" program where it will redirect you directly, or with
a ten second delay, to the site of the highest bidder for the closest matching
keyword.

Type "example.com" which does not exist and get redirected to "evilempire.com"
who bought the keyword "example".  Great, isn't it?

PS: I will patent it myself to prevent Versign from doing this.

--
Andre