Re: WashingtonPost computer security stories

  • From: Jeff Shultz
  • Date: Mon Aug 16 14:27:16 2004

Joe Johnson wrote:

This was a great product, and the closest thing I have seen to a really
easy Linux.  I picked up an Lindows box for a friend that didn't have
much for a PC budget, and played with it for a little while.  It was
really the only version I would ever consider replacing my Windows box
with.

BTW, what versions of Linux does everyone consider the easiest?  I've
tried a few I would try in certain places, but which do you all think is
the easiest?

Joe Johnson

I don't know about "easiest" but I have a soft spot in my heart (and probably my head) for Mandrake Linux.

On the spyware topic... it doesn't take spyware to take a connection down weirdly. I have one in the shop today that does connect - you can ping - but neither IE nor any other graphical app (it's WinXP Media Center Ed.) could see the internet connection.

Ended up being Norton Internet Security's firewall - it was installed, but shouldn't have been running. No icon in the taskbar.... but uninstalling it did the trick.

I've had similar experiences with Zonealarm in the past as well.

--
Jeff Shultz
Network Technician