Re: Verisign vs. ICANN

  • From: Michael Loftis
  • Date: Mon Aug 16 10:45:13 2004

I'm not a lawyer but I still think businesses have a valid lawsuit against Verisign for whatever the legal term is for using their copyrighted names and likenesses. With SiteFinder it guarantees Verisign 'owns' any domain a particular company may no have yet purchased until such time that they do. And until they do their property gets branded as if it were Verisign's. That's my chief complaint against Verisign.

There is also the problem that no one can easily verify non-existence of ANY domain when the SiteFinder is deployed with the Wildcard A record, this is almost certainly detrimental.

The BIND source was modified in response to CUSTOMERS REQUESTS. It seems as though Verisign intends to implement it's will by legal maneuvering. It's akin to Microsoft being told by say RedHat that they can't have multiple user logins because Linux does that. Or that Windows can't have a good, useful CLI subsystem even though customers are clamoring for it.

I'm not certain what other legal beef Verisign may have with ICANN (and any of the others mentioned in their legal proceedings) but it's certainly not any conspiracy, an option was simply provided at the outcry by a large, well respected, technical community to a change in infrastructure we all rely on that caused problematic effects.

It's very regrettable that Verisign's lawyers decided it was necessary to go about this.

As part of a a disclaimer: Any various mentioned parties were used above in a purely hypothetical manner and do not represent any companies actual intentions. Any mentioned copyrighted names are the property of their respective copyright or other property holders.