RE: WashingtonPost computer security stories

  • From: Joe Johnson
  • Date: Sun Aug 15 15:34:56 2004

Owen Wrote:
>Well, then bad hardware and application software are a lot more
prevalant
>under Windows than Linux.  I install/deinstall games and other
application
>software all the time under Linux.  I have the usage pattern you
describe
>for others (except the part about patching my system regularly), and I
just
>don't have any difficulty keeping the system up for months at a time,
>not having to reinstall the OS until I choose to upgrade major
versions,
>and, generally, it just keeps on ticking.
>
>Admittedly, it's even better under MacOS with Apple hardware, but,
given
>the extent to which Linux is more reliable than Windows in the same
usage
>pattern as you described, I find it hard to blame the hardware.
>
>Windows is a poorly designed operating system, which, although they
have
>plugged lots of holes, is constantly discovering new ones.  Worse yet,
>Micr0$0ft has always chosen a "functionality at any cost" approach to
>their software, so, if they want to implement a feature and it can't
>be done securely, they implement rather than scale back.  Yes, their
>current default settings are more secure than ever before, but, they're
>still pretty leaky.
>
>Owen

Everyone can argue until they are blue in the face over Linux vs.
Windows, but the big point is: what comes on your machine when you buy
it?  Windows does.  Now, there is definitely a big backstory to why it
does, but the point is that people buy it knowing (or maybe not knowing)
that it is a flawed product.  The manufacturers still put it on the
machines because they know people will buy it and because Microsoft
makes it cheap for them.

I can agree that Linux makes a good product for the niche market that it
fills now, but there needs to be a dumbed-down version for home machines
that is widely available and supported across the market for it to
really make an impact.  The closest thing now is maybe a Red Hat or a
Mandrake, but both require you to pay for their OS (or download the CDs
in iso format and burn them to CD yourself, a task beyond most suburban
soccer moms and the like).  Not everyone needs kernel level access and
the such, they just want a machine that turns on and gets them online
and their email (whether that's IE and Outlook or Thunderbird and
Firefox).

Now, I love Gentoo and use it on my 2nd home desktop and for the servers
at work (the few I trust on Linux, haha.  Just kidding, we use Linux
first and Windows as a last resort).  But, the first time I installed
Gentoo it took me three tries to get it right.  Now, Windows installs
right the first time, every time, and lays itself out in regular plain
English.  The day that someone creates a wildly popular, easy to install
Linux that has a basic user interface much like Windows, then Linux will
win.  Unfortunately, the only possible business model that works is to
market such a product for a profit, not for free.

Joe Johnson