Re: WashingtonPost computer security stories

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Sun Aug 15 14:14:35 2004

Retina scan on something and some virus/worm got in and it took some
registry editting and safe mode work to get it removed - and I know what I
am doing.
As far as I know, there is no remotely exploitable hole in windows that
doesn't have a patch for it, nothing majorly in the wild anyway. I run my
fully patched XP laptop without firewall directly connected to the
internet all the time and the above you mention doesn't happen to me.
I agree with Mikael here. If your box is fully patched you need not worry about that much -- if you are still having problems, check your assumptions. :) Windows 2003 Web Servers are up unfiltered out there, there isn't a real reason why a Windows XP laptop wouldn't be [exploita du jour excepted].

My only reason for liking a hw firewall for use with my laptop is that the network chatter/probe attempts on cable internet keeps the thing from staying asleep without it.

A lot of the problems with windows that people complain about, isn't Microsoft caused apart from them designing a bad driver/library/registry model for how things are installed and ran. I usually run windows boxes for two-three years without reinstalling them, other people have to re-install every 3-6 months. Looking at their usage pattern and mine, they install games and other programs and de-install them all the time, whereas I usually stick to a fixed set of programs and rarely install new ones, and I always apply new patches when they're available via Windows Update. I can also run my machine for months without it crashing, which seems an
unobtainable feat for a lot of other people. I see a pattern.

Bad hardware and application software cause a lot more problems than the operating system itself.
This meshes for me too. A handful of utilities [NAV, putty, Mozilla, etc] and the Office suite is about it. My laptop [with frequent standbys, hibernates and the rest] doesn't need to be rebooted even monthly. The Verizon BroadbandNow software is the only thing that prefers a restarted machine with hardware changes [insert card/remove card] --- hopefully they will fix that, but I'm not confident.

I find it interesting that those who claim their machines are soooo important and soooo vital are the ones who spend many hours screwing around with the reinstalls, the upgrades [without knowing what features they are getting] and then being frustrated and uninstalling, etc.

Not all software vendors are equal, not all software packages from the same vendor are equal. I think this is the key point. Symantec [IMO] does fine with Windows, Microsoft's own stuff is pretty good, Mozilla is improving, etc. Installing some random software, no matter how well intentioned is usually the problem for most folks. One suggestion that seems to help. When you buy a machine from scratch, uninstall or forcibly remove all the unnecessary software the vendor puts on. Lots of them install chatty support agents and self-diagnosis tools. I have never seen anything but trouble from these. Purists would say just install from fresh media and don't trust the uninstalls, ymmv.

Deepak Jain
AiNET