RE: BGP-based blackholing/hijacking patented in Australia?

  • From: Michel Py
  • Date: Fri Aug 13 10:06:27 2004

> william(at)elan.net wrote:
> The only imlementation change to do this would be to provide
> a link from the webpage where user might have been redirected
> to the original website they wanted to access

But the user never wanted to access the site in the first place; lots of
these phishing scams either promise a free something or say that the
account will be de-activated, none of which exist. The reason to visit a
web site never existed in reality.

As far as the HTTP 1.1 issue for legit web sites hosted on the same IP,
although I do agree that a link to the original page would be nice, it
still is an un-acceptable disruption IMHO. Besides, it might prove
difficult to provide, as the HTML content would need to be dynamic based
on the domain, we're talking decapsulating the traffic to extract the
domain name and embed it into the HTML code to provide the link.

> Stephen J. Wilcox
> Transparent caching has done this for a long time, the difference
> is it only works on traffic passing through the adjacent router,
> with this you can pull traffic from all over your network back
> to a single cache

But this is not caching: the content is not the same as the original.

Michel.