Re: BGP-based blackholing/hijacking patented in Australia?

  • From: Edward B. Dreger
  • Date: Fri Aug 13 09:23:41 2004

BS> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:33:33 +1000
BS> From: Bevan Slattery

BS> The service doesn't use a transparent firewall/proxy, but
BS> instead updates routing information by BGP and that traffic
BS> gets sent to:from the system via a tunnel.

Search recent NANOG presentations.  Keep an eye out for "Martini
Tunnels".

BS> One night about 6 months ago, we hosted a Internet Industry
BS> night and quite a few of our biggest customers attended.

IANAL, but I think this is helpful in establishing the critical
date of the claimed.  PIPE appears to have joined Postini in
thinking a MITM attack is something new and exotic.

I've admittedly not read the entire thread, but Squid+GRE+WCCP
comes to mind.  That combination has been around more than six
months.

Eddy
--
EverQuick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/