Re: That MIT paper

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Thu Aug 12 22:19:35 2004

> > At root and gTLD servers I assume DNS traffic occupies significantly
> > more than 3% of all traffic there.  Still, a 1% increase remains 1%.
>
>    Sure, but the ratio still plays out.  ...

i must have misspoken.  when i asked "what if 20,000 sites decreased their
cache utilization by 1% due to a general lowering of TTL's inspired by MIT's
paper" i was wondering if anyone thought that the result would be a straight
across-the-board increase in traffic at the root servers.  there are theories
that say yes.  other theories say it'll be higher.  others, lower.  any study
that fails to address these questions is worse than useless.
--
Paul Vixie