RE: BGP-based blackholing/hijacking patented in Australia?

  • From: Neil J. McRae
  • Date: Thu Aug 12 08:06:58 2004

> The implications of this are scary.  Hijacking of IP space by
> a private company, supported by the government?

Niels,
The UK government have looked at this as a possibility to
use this non-technology as away for the banks to advise
ISP's about false bank logon schemes "phishing sites".

The UK industry lead by the members of the London Internet
Exchange responded with a paper outlining how this non-solution
was fatally flawed and would actually not resolve this problem
at all, and actually give a false sense of security. The UK
government has since agreed with the industry and is working
on other possible solutions, like the banks solving their
own problem with token like technologies etc, rather than let
us poor operators solve their problems for them.

I hope this "non-technology" gets the patent it deserves!

Regards,
Neil.