Re: SPF again (Re: XO Mail engineers?)

  • From: Edward B. Dreger
  • Date: Wed Aug 04 19:14:30 2004

DAU> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:46:17 -0700
DAU> From: David A. Ulevitch

DAU> SPF's use of TXT records doesn't bother me so much.  It's

Perhaps some other technology would like to use TXT RRs.  If
something hogs an entire RRTYPE at a given scope, it really
should have its own RRTYPE.  An acceptable alternative would be
KRB5-style "_foo" entries.  All IMHO.

DAU> more that people are (blindly) clamoring for it.
DAU> SpamAssassin is going to start checking SPF records.
DAU>
DAU> If I don't choose to implement SPF my DNS servers are still

I don't choose to get bounces and other headaches from joe jobs.

DAU> going to get those TXT record requests.  I can't opt-out of

No, although you can return NODATA or a non-SPF TXT RR, giving
you your choice of negative or positive caching.

DAU> that.  I don't look forward to getting a taste of what the
DAU> root-server operators see in their valid/invalid lookup
DAU> ratios.
DAU>
DAU> I think there are going to be some negative consequences as
DAU> more people implement SPF that will only become apparent at
DAU> a certain scale.

Perhaps.  However, the current { ease of performing } + { time to
educate people re } joe jobs doesn't exactly scale well.  I'd not
call SPF a cure, but I still think the sickness is worse than the
experimental treatment.

Eddy
--
EverQuick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/