Re: SPF again (Re: XO Mail engineers?)

  • From: David A.Ulevitch
  • Date: Wed Aug 04 18:51:50 2004

On Aug 4, 2004, at 3:23 PM, Edward B. Dreger wrote:

DAU> I think people will realize that if we're remodeling the
DAU> boat that much we should have at least made sure we were
DAU> fixing something in the process...

Indeed.

[snip]
Running something DNS-based that requires simple parsing is
hardly an earth-shattering change; it smells similar to DNSBLs,
yes?  Yet it's still somewhat controversial.
SPF's use of TXT records doesn't bother me so much. It's more that people are (blindly) clamoring for it. SpamAssassin is going to start checking SPF records.

If I don't choose to implement SPF my DNS servers are still going to get those TXT record requests. I can't opt-out of that. I don't look forward to getting a taste of what the root-server operators see in their valid/invalid lookup ratios.

I think there are going to be some negative consequences as more people implement SPF that will only become apparent at a certain scale.

-david

David A. Ulevitch - Founder, EveryDNS.Net
http://david.ulevitch.com -- http://everydns.net