Re: sms messaging without a net?

  • From: Roland Perry
  • Date: Tue Aug 03 05:36:23 2004

In article <[email protected]>, Dan Hollis <[email protected]> writes
The only method that comes to mind is to buy a GSM modem which has SMS
messaging capability.
I have a Nokia GSM "modem" on a PCMCIA card for my laptop. Usually for dial-up access to the Net when on the move. But it also sends and receives SMS - and obviously a much better UI on the laptop than a phone.

It's about 3 years old now, I've seen them on ebay for peanuts.

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14408&item=631282
2524&rd=1>

ps. It only needs an Orange SIM if you want data at more than 9.6K, SMS will work with any SIM (afaik).
--
Roland Perry