Re: Convention networks and viruses

  • From: Scott Weeks
  • Date: Thu Jul 29 10:56:19 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:

: > : As NANOG has experienced during the last several meetings, in any network
: > : used by a large number of people, there will be a certain percentage of
: > : people which bring infected computers into the network.

: > :   evening the main press pavilion was offline for about 90 minutes. A
: > :   spokesman for Verizon said the company deliberately caused the
: > :   interruption as part of an effort to root out a more deep-seated
: > :   network problem, which the company said appeared to have been caused by
: > :   a virus carried by network devices provided by news organizations. In

: > A buncha technically clueless newsgeeks brought infected micro$loth
: > computers into a convention?  Shocking!  What's this world coming to???
: > Sounds like Verizon hired low-end netgeeks if they had to bring the
: > network down to find these infected computers.
:
: I must have dozed off.  What did Verizon have to do with the NANOG
: meeting?

See section 2, above.  Neither is what Sean was getting at, I believe.
What he seemed to be saying is that a few infected folks can cause temp
networks at conventions to suffer major problems.  Doesn't matter if it's
at a news org conference or a NANOG conference.  To be sure, though, you
don't have to take the whole network down to find them.

: > tisk-tisk-tisk Verizon.   MCSE != good netgeek   In fact, almost all the
: > time, the two are mutually exclusive, disjoint sets of people...
:
: And sometimes "orthogonal" comes to mind.

yes, most always.

: And sometimes "congruent" does.

very, very rarely.  Keep 'em if you find 'em.  I've worked with a
couple in the past...

Just an opinion.  I'm known to have a few...  :-)
scott