Re: ad.doubleclick.net missing from DNS?

  • From: Chris Brenton
  • Date: Tue Jul 27 22:16:14 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 21:44, Paul Vixie wrote:

> on the one hand, you'd need a wildcard A RR at *.doubleclick.net to
> achieve this result.  the above text does not mention this, and leads
> one to believe that an apex A RR at doubleclick.net would have an effect.

Depends what you are trying to do. I'm perfectly happy to have
*.doubleclick.net return a "host not found", so a file with no A records
works fine for me.

> on the other hand, if you do this for a nameserver that your customers
> depend on, then there is probably some liability for either trademark
> infringement, tortious interference with prospective economic advantage,
> and the gods alone know what else.

Guess I don't see this as being any different than restricting access
based on port number or IP address. If your SLA empowers you to
selectively block traffic, what's the difference?

I agree however that at the ISP level its probably good practice to
_not_ do this. Then again, when I had my ISP I did filter out
doubleclick as well as certain IPs and ports. This was in the SLA
however so clients knew this was happening (and considered it a
"feature") before they signed up for service.