RE: T1 short-haul vs. long-haul

  • From: Michel Py
  • Date: Fri Jul 23 23:13:27 2004

> Christopher Woodfield wrote:
> I think we can probably chalk this up to a difference
> in dialect, for lack of a better word...what you're
> calling an NIU is exactly what I would call a smartjack
> and vice versa. Can you point to any sort of "official"
> documentation that defines these?

> Christopher Woodfield wrote:
> the smartjack has alarm lights and can be remotely
> looped by the telco via ESF loopcodes;

I have never seen an NUI (even antique ones, which did not have loopback
capabilities) that was a dumb wiring box. Below are some examples of
what people actually call an NIU:

http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/docs/3125.pdf
http://www.charlesindustries.com/NIU%20400-Size.pdf

As you can see, none of them feature any RJ48 jack.

> Christopher Woodfield wrote:
> the NIU (also known as an RJ48X) is the dumb wiring box.

It is _not_ also known as an RJ48X. Below are some examples of RJ48X
products:

http://www.twacomm.com/Catalog/Model_AT635CX.htm
http://www.suttleonline.com/trad_jacks_sfcmount.html
http://www.figment.ca/Networking/Premise/PDFs/Section%20B/b9.pdf?catid=2