Re: VeriSign's rapid DNS updates in .com/.net

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Thu Jul 22 20:52:07 2004

> But the new policy does allow normal people to do something they couldn't
> otherwise do: have a working .com/.net Web site and e-mail in a few
> minutes. That's good for legitimate domain owner happiness.
>
> By far the number one question customers ask my (hosting) company when
> they sign up is "When will it start working?". It's almost embarrassing
> to tell these poor people "ahem... it probably won't work for a day or
> so, and it's a bit random -- your friends might find it works before you
> do, so please don't complain if that happens", etc.
>
> It's certainly true that a day's wait isn't the end of the world, but
> these people are anxious, and it is a source of confusion, bother and
> worry for them.

bingo!  and the TTL issue is almost entirely NS RRs, as Sam Stickland
<[email protected]> pointed out in the article from the usual
suspects at mit/lcs, <http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/papers/dns-imw2001.html>.
of course, almost all date in the gtlds are NS RRs, so the worry about
TTL crank-down holds, though just for silly gtld servers.  then again,
they're paid to serve.

randy