Re: Surge Protection

  • From: Mike Lewinski
  • Date: Thu Jul 22 13:57:21 2004

Daniel Senie wrote:

The cost of installing a surge protector is unlikely to impact your bottom line. One successful lightning strike on the other hand will hurt quite a bit, and probably happen at 4AM just to be more annoying.
Yes... we had a strike hit a remote mountain POP via the T1. From the router it managed to propogate onto the switch and from the switch onto the connected hosts and caused a catastrophic failure. Fortunately the hosts mainly lost their NICs.

We have since purchased some polyphaser surge protectors. Can't remember if this was the vendor or not:

http://www.comm-omni.com/polyweb/t1.htm

Google has +400 matches on the exact phrase "T1 surge protector"