Re: T1 short-haul vs. long-haul

  • From: John Bittenbender
  • Date: Thu Jul 22 00:46:34 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Kent" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: T1 short-haul vs. long-haul

> Order the T1 (ESF, B8ZS).  As you order the circuit specify where you
> want it to end up ("server room, 2nd floor") and that you want an extended
> demarc (will cost extra).
>
> AT install time, make sure someone is around to cajole the installer
> into getting the NIU as close as you can to where your router will be.
> The installer should test from the extended demarc (make sure they do).

I have had LEC's tell me that the extended DMARC is only warranted for 3
months after install. Any work to the extended DMARC will cost you after
that if the trouble is within the extended DMARC. I have had telco techs on
site flat out refuse to repair an extended DMARC or tell you that it has to
be scheduled and will take a week to schedule. Occasionally a friendly tech
will just fix it for you without charge so, YMMV.

> Get a standard built-in T1 dsu like as been mentioned in previous posts.
> Plug it into the extended demarc with an ethernet patch cable.
>
> Now, even though I say to not worry, it is important to remember the
> #1 lesson when dealing with telephone companies.  I figure it is the
> same all over the world, but just in case it isn't, I'll repeat it here:
>
>   The telco is not your friend.

Indeed. But be nice to the techs, save the anger for their management.

John Bittenbender

P.S. Welcome to the States (at least virtually)