Re: T1 short-haul vs. long-haul

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Wed Jul 21 09:20:05 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Andre Oppermann wrote:

> I'm having a few questions about T1 line support in the US because I have to procure
> some Router/Network hardware for US branches of a company (I am from Europe).
>
> Normally in Europe when you order an E1 (G.703) connection the Telco delivers a
> NTU (Network termination Unit) which normally is a (S)HDSL modem converting from
> two-wire DSL to four-wire E1 electrical.  The cable between the NTU and the Router
> is normally very short, a few feet/meters.

FYI I'm in the UK, this is not normal in all europe i guess.. they usually
present as unbalanced g703.

I dont know the answers to the below as I've never had a T1 in the US.. but I
think its important particularly when ordering in a market your not familiar
with to request the telco gives you a specification.

Even if you get the answers to the questions, dont assume this applies to all
circuits from all telcos in NA.. get the spec and confirm with your supplier
that you are getting what you expect. If you order the wrong thing it will cost
money..

Steve