T1 short-haul vs. long-haul

  • From: Andre Oppermann
  • Date: Wed Jul 21 08:27:46 2004

I'm having a few questions about T1 line support in the US because I have to procure
some Router/Network hardware for US branches of a company (I am from Europe).

Normally in Europe when you order an E1 (G.703) connection the Telco delivers a
NTU (Network termination Unit) which normally is a (S)HDSL modem converting from
two-wire DSL to four-wire E1 electrical.  The cable between the NTU and the Router
is normally very short, a few feet/meters.

o How is this normally done in the US by the Telcos for T1 lines?

o I assume the difference between T1 short-haul and long-haul is the cable length.
  But what is it used for?  Is it still common to have long-haul T1 connections
  either within buildings or towards the central office of the Telco?  Would I be
  fine with buying short-haul-only interfaces in any common scenario?

o What is "Wet T1 Capable"?  What is it used for and who needs this?

o What else is important in dealings with US Telcos when ordering and using T1
  leased-line services?

Thanks for any input.
--
Andre