Re: Regional differences in P2P

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sun Jul 18 09:53:09 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> you can also be fairly accurate from the flow data.. eg genuine web traffic is
> short small transfers, P2P is long-lived flows of continous high usage

In the long run, there is no way to accurately determine what kind of
traffic everything is, and short of making encryption illegal and doing
deep packet inspection, there is no future for those kinds of measures
anyway.

Only way I see is to use L3 information as that's basically the only thing
we're asked from our customers to handle (in most cases anyway), we move
packets from one IP address to another IP address.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]