RE: Regional differences in P2P

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Fri Jul 16 01:48:26 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Michel Py wrote:

> I agree, but see above: a 40GB/mo cap is not something that I care
> about. Granted, I'm not a hardcore file swapper but 40GB/mo are more

I don't know of any capped service over here, nobody dares take the first
step. The largest 10meg provider here launched a new 100 meg full duplex
service for their approx 200.000 household reach at USD$110 a month with a
300G cap (their 10 meg service for $45 a month is uncapped) and there has
been a fair amount of users complaining about 300G not being nearly
enough. When you start swapping DVDRs it just isn't.

If they capped their 10M service I believe there would be a riot.

I know a few smaller providers who use netflow or alike to find their very
high-bw consuming customers and then put them into a ratelimit access
list and limit their outgoing traffic. This is probably the best way to
go, instead of capping you limit their speed. It requires that you have
hardware that'll do this, which can be hard for larger ISPs. Smaller ones
have an easier time finding scalable solutions.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]