Fwd: Crackdowns don't slow Internet piracy

  • From: Fergie (Paul Ferguson)
  • Date: Wed Jul 14 17:16:08 2004

This is an interesting article -- not necessarily off-topic, given
snippets such as:

 "The popularity of file-sharing is costing the largest Internet
  service providers $10 million per year each in bandwidth and network
  maintenance costs, CacheLogic said."

and

 "It estimates Internet users around the globe freely exchange a
  staggering 10 petabytes -- or 10 million gigabytes -- of data,
  much of it in the form of copyright-protected songs, movies,
  software and video games."

and

 "CacheLogic, which provides filtering technology for many of the
  world's largest ISPs, derived its results by monitoring daily
  traffic flow across its clients' networks."

I was wondering if the NANOG readership-at-large had any experiences
in this regard, concerning any of these statements, since I couldn't
find anything of any real technical substance on CacheLogic's web
page.

See:

 http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/13/technology/internet_piracy.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

Thanks,