Re: OT: xDSL hardware

  • From: Christopher X. Candreva
  • Date: Tue Jul 13 21:58:19 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> I'm wondering if there are any ISPs here that are Covad partners that have
> found a need to terminate a DSL line alongside a T1 for backup.

Yes. Not doing it currently, but when we did we used a FlowPoint 2200 in
routed mode into the second ethernet port on a 2e/1serial 25xx. , with a /30
between the FP and the Cisco.

> Is anyone aware of a WIC card that will work with the lower end Cisco gear
> (1700 or 2600 series) that will allow me to terminate an ADSL or
> preferably an SDSL line directly on the router?  The idea being that the
> router is then aware of link up/down status...

Covad business class is SDSL. But - if the DSL line is backup to the T1,
does the router 'need' to know that the DSL line is down ? I believe we just
used weighted static routes. If the T1 was up use that, otherwise use the
DSL. If both are down -- it won't really matter, will it ? :-) (Unless you
are relying on SNMP monitoring from this router internally for an alarm).

Chris Candreva  -- [email protected] -- (914) 967-7816
http://www.westnet.com/