Re: WTF ---

  • From: Scott Stursa
  • Date: Fri Jul 09 09:14:37 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 [email protected] wrote:

> stuff under the floor:
> wildlife: common in TX, fireants/bees/arachnids in the vaults

Here in the SE USA we have a variety of cockroach we refer to as "palmetto
bugs". These grow to about 2 inches (5cm) in length. Any extended visit
under the floor will likely include an encounter with one.

> not exactly under the floor:

Back around 1981 I worked in a shop which had just taken delivery on an
IBM 8100 system, a "mini-computer" about the size of a washing machine. We
had an operator who weighed about 350lb (160Kg), and whenever this guy got
within 10' (3m) of the thing it would crash. When the IBM FE came in, a
circuit board was found to have a micro-fracture in it. Apparently
whenever said operator got close enough, the floor would warp a bit,
shifting the box enough to open a gap in the board.

> ah... the bad ol'days. :)

They're over?

- SLS

Scott L. Stursa                                             850/644-2591
Network Security Officer                             [email protected]
Academic Computing and Network Services         Florida State University

                    - No good deed goes unpunished -