Re: concern over public peering points [WAS: Peering point speed publicly available?]

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Jul 08 09:55:34 2004

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 08:46:49 EDT, Leo Bicknell <[email protected]>  said:

> Everyone running their cable wherever they want with no controls,
> and abandoning it all in place makes a huge mess, and is one way
> to think about it.

While clearing out the space that eventually ended up being repurposed for a
supercomputer, we encountered a small run of Ethernet Classic - the thickwire
stuff.  We never did figure out how or why it got there (I doubt that anybody
stashed it down there just for storage stretched straight out, with 3 vampire
taps still attached), as the location in question was still cow pasture when we
decided that all new cable would be thinwire (and we certainly had plenty of
THAT under the floor, buried under all the cat-5...)  And we're a small enough
shop with low enough personnel turnover that rounding up *all* the possible
co-conspirators and getting somebody to admit "Ahh... now there's a story
attached to that wire..." usually doesn't take more than 3 or 4 pitchers of
Guinness... ;)

Which almost begs the question - what's the oddest "WTF??" anybody's willing to
admit finding under a raised floor, or up in a ceiling or cable chase or
similar location? (Feel free to change names to protect the guilty if need
be....:)