RE: 802.17 RPR and L2 Ethernet interoperablity (Ethernet over RPR)

  • From: Michael Smith
  • Date: Wed Jul 07 11:15:04 2004

Hello Sam:

We're using the Cisco ML cards in the 15454's.  The inbound port from
the switch is just a .1Q trunk.  The ML cards do the Q-in-Q
encapsulation of all frames coming inbound, although this is just one
configuration scenario that happened to work well for our
application.

These particular cards can take any frame up to 9000 bytes, so
pre-encapsulated traffic types such a Q-in-Q or MPLS frames are no
problem.  We have not seen any issues with encapsulated types, but of
course, your mileage may vary.

Mike