802.17 RPR and L2 Ethernet interoperablity (Ethernet over RPR)

  • From: sam_ml
  • Date: Tue Jul 06 14:49:57 2004

Hi,

This is probably a fairly simply question, I'm probably just not quite
groking the layers involved here.

If I had the following setup:

Endstation A -- Switch A === RPR Ring === Switch B -- Endstation B

could there be a VLAN setup such that Endstations A and B are both in it,
and can communicate as if they are on the same LAN segment? (And I mean
natively. ie. not using an MPLS VPN). ie. Will the switches involved
tranlate the different framing formats in use? Is this vendor dependent?

Sam