Re: Who broke .org?

  • From: Edward B. Dreger
  • Date: Sat Jul 03 11:55:29 2004

JW> Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:22:34 -0400
JW> From: Jeff Wasilko

JW> On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 06:45:44AM -0700, Bill Woodcock wrote:
JW> >
JW> > Uh, how much additional down-time did you want?  Rolling
JW> > the clock back a decade isn't going to make things
JW> > _better_.
JW>
JW> Why do you say that?
JW>
JW> .com and .net seem to work just fine without the extreme
JW> reliance on 2 anycasted servers (i.e. they are serving up 13
JW> different NS records).

"One anycast implementation is having trouble, therefore anycast
must be inherently bad" is hardly good logic.

Something I forgot to add to my anycast ramblings the other
evening:

Say one has ns1.domain.tld and ns2.domain.tld both anycasted.
Assuming pods have two machines, set your MEDs[*] such that ns1
prefers server "A" and ns2 prefers server "B".  This helps
queries destined for different NSes hit different machines.

[*] Or whatever knob you use.

JW> I realize .com/.net may be using anycast as well, but they've
JW> managed to engineer a solution that is stable.

I don't think gtld-servers.net uses anycast; someone correct me
if I'm wrong.  F-root != gtld-servers.net.

Eddy
--
EverQuick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/