Re: Who broke .org?

  • From: Jeff Wasilko
  • Date: Sat Jul 03 11:24:39 2004

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 06:45:44AM -0700, Bill Woodcock wrote:

>       On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Jeff Wasilko wrote:
>     > Can't we just go back to non-anycast, please?
>
> Uh, how much additional down-time did you want?  Rolling the clock back a
> decade isn't going to make things _better_.

Why do you say that?

.com and .net seem to work just fine without the extreme reliance
on 2 anycasted servers (i.e. they are serving up 13 different NS records).
I realize .com/.net may be using anycast as well, but they've
managed to engineer a solution that is stable.
.org was pretty reliable when it was being run by the same folks that are
still running .com/.net.

.org broke one month after it was moved to UltraDNS, and has
since broken at least 4 times (based on reports to NANOG). How
many times have there been significant outages in .com/.net in
the past 10-11 months?

Wouldn't there be a huge uproar (a-la sitefinder) if .com/.net
were as unreliable as .org has been?

-j (wishing his domain wasn't in .org anymore)