Re: ultradns reachability

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Sat Jul 03 09:09:26 2004

In a message written on Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 05:55:13PM -0700, Matt Ghali wrote:
> DNS traffic, surprisingly, is not very "fat". It is no HTTP nor SMTP.
>
> The engineering behind appropriately sizing a unicast fallback would
> be pretty trivial, especially compared to building a somewhat-robust
> anycast architecture.

This statement may be true for many DNS servers, but I suspect it
is completely false for the roots, or for the GTLD's.  Perhaps the
folks from .org or from f-root would like to comment on how hard
it would be to handle the whole load from a single box, particularly
when you consider they are all high profile DDoS targets as well.

If it were trivial, more GTLD's would be doing it.

--
       Leo Bicknell - [email protected] - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - [email protected], www.tmbg.org