Re: Who broke .org?

  • From: Per Gregers Bilse
  • Date: Sat Jul 03 06:30:37 2004

On Jul 2,  2:48pm, Jeff Wasilko <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 02:38:12PM -0400, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:
> > run .org, I just think a blanket statement "anycast is bad" is, well,
> > bad.)
>
> I'd be totally happy to see a combination, too. It's just pretty
> obvious that the current solution isn't reliable over the long-haul.

At least the previous outage (a couple of weeks ago) had nothing to do
with anycast, I was getting NXDOMAIN replies back, and no kind of fallback
or non-anycast deployment would have helped.  Anycast functionality
is well understood, and is less likely to cause problems than the
fact that the servers seem to be under a single "one typo breaks all"
management system.  True redundancy requires the two sets of servers
to be managed by different people doing different things in different
ways at different times; this too is well understood, and I'm a little
dismayed this (or at least some weaker form thereof) seems not to be
the case.  (Note I'm saying "seem", I'm just guessing based on the
observations I and other people have made.)

I think a statement from UltraDNS and/or Public Interest Registry as
to what caused the problems would have been, and still is, appropriate,
considering the public interest aspect.

  -- Per