Re: ultradns reachability

  • From: k claffy
  • Date: Thu Jul 01 23:37:48 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 02:06:59AM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

  On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, James Edwards wrote:

  > http://www.cymru.com/DNS/gtlddns-o.html

  my mrtg skillz are kind of lame, but this seems to show 2/3rds outage from
  this monitoring point of view. It'd be nice if the aforementioned
  'what/where/who' info was available for each monitoring point CYMRU
  uses... So you could tell that from the SBC POV you were querying the XO
  westcoast pod, from the APPS POV you saw the Verio CHI pod and from the
  AT&T POV you saw the ATT local pod.

  Anycast makes the pinpointing of problems a little challenging from the
  external perspective it seems to me.

i am relieved it is only 'a little challenging'
because i was worried it was 'sub-possible'.
(or am i misinterpreting operational euphemisms...)

if we use the routing system to hide reality,
we give up transparency in exchange for vigor.
it's unclear to me that we even know how to quantify
much less measure that tradeoff.   like so many other
complexity tradeoffs..
but then we've taken similar risks before and gotten
stuff like BGP so maybe we'll be, um, just as fond of
anycast in due time. :)

//
they call this war a cloud over the land. but they made the
weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'sh*t its raining!'.
	-- renéezellweger, 'cold mountain'
//