Re: Non-Portable ip blocks become portable (was - Can a Customer take their IP's with them? )

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Wed Jun 30 03:44:06 2004

On 30-jun-04, at 6:47, william(at)elan.net wrote:

Not an ARIN example but when KPNQwest went out of business, the situation
was as you desribe and it would have been difficult to everybody to quickly
renumber so their PA assigned customer ip blocks with assistance of RIPE
became PI blocks (at least this is how I understood it, people in europe
can correct me if this is not right). So the precidents do exist, but
they involve having RIR take over the block.
One comment: the moment the KPNQwest network was turned off was a long time coming. (And a side note: KPNQ customers made some final, fairly big payments for the express purpose of keeping the network running (this money was supposed to go to the power company, AFAIK), but the banks just intercepted this money and kept it. The court didn't think anything wrong with this.)