Non-Portable ip blocks become portable (was - Can a Customer taketheir IP's with them? )

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Wed Jun 30 00:51:18 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Crist Clark wrote:

> Also can one think of other circumstances where non-portable IPs should
> become portable without reallocation through ARIN? Say, *poof*, ISP
> goes out of business _very_ suddenly with no one buying up its assets
> and taking over its operations quickly. There is no way to expect all of
> the customers to renumber in time. Do they have to wait for ARIN to
> reallocate the defunct ISP's space? And once it does, if the space gets
> reallocated to ISP-X, do all of the customers _have to_ sign up with
> this ISP to hold onto their numbers for a while? Or do customers have
> some time to take the numbers with them to another ISP while things get
> ironed out?

Not an ARIN example but when KPNQwest went out of business, the situation
was as you desribe and it would have been difficult to everybody to quickly
renumber so their PA assigned customer ip blocks with assistance of RIPE
became PI blocks (at least this is how I understood it, people in europe
can correct me if this is not right). So the precidents do exist, but
they involve having RIR take over the block.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks