Re: BGP list of phishing sites?

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Tue Jun 29 22:42:29 2004

--- Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email protected]> wrote:

> > The principle has been analogized to describe
> larger
> > systems and items, and is a useful but not always
> > completely accurate metaphor.  It is entirely
> possible
> > to observe some things without affecting them.
>
> Is it? If I want to look at you, I must bounce
> photons off of you.
> Similar stuff needs to happen for other types of
> observation. This may
> not have a very large effect on you, but there is
> _some_ effect.

for some value of _some_, right?  ;)

I agree that there is an affect, but not necessarily
due to the observation itself: consider a webcam.
Whether I am observing you in the camera is not
dependent on my interacting with you per se: the
photons were already on their way from you to the
lens.  You could argue that those photons cause a
change, but I would respond that the photons would
have caused that change regardless of whether they are
measured.

Perhaps some beer and philosophy at the October
meeting?

=====
David Barak
-fully RFC 1925 compliant-