Re: Attn MCI/UUNet - Massive abuse from your network

  • From: Steve Linford
  • Date: Tue Jun 29 16:28:13 2004

From Ben Browning, received 29/6/04, 9:56 am -0700 (GMT):
 Steve Linford wrote:
 The statement by Ben Browning: "I know several businesses who have,
 and a great many people who have blocked UUNet space from sending
 them email ... by using ... the SBL" is false, the SBL has never
 blocked UUNet/MCI IP space that wasn't directly in the control of
 spammers. If Mr Browning does indeed know "several businesses and a
 great many people" whose UUNet/MCI IP space has been blocked by the
 SBL, then Mr Browning knows several spam outfits and a great many
 spammers.
 Let me rephrase: I know several businesses and a great many people who
 block *parts* of UUNet by the SBL and *larger* parts of it by means
 of SPEWS, blackholes.us, et al.
I obviously read more into it than you meant, sorry (I though you were implying we were blocking MCI IPs above and in addition to IPs belonging to spammers, something we try hard not to do).

 Regardless, the SBL does block *some* UUNet space, much of
 which(according to responses here) no longer belongs to the
 spammers.
That's correct. At a guess I'd say possibly even 20% of our MCI listings are stale, and we don't know which ones. Without illegally scanning the MCI IPs to see what's running there we have very little way of knowing which spammers are departed or not, because MCI/UUNet Abuse will not tell us.

Unlike listings of normal providers which tend to manage themselves, MCI SBL listings continue to grow in number and are removed either because they've reached their time-out setting or because someone higher up yells and the Abuse guys get their fingers out. We see things start to happen when Christopher Morrow gets involved, but they soon revert if he's not chasing them. Vint Cerf is now aware of the situation so perhaps more might begin to move and we may soon see those MCI listings drop down, and maybe a refresh of MCI's AUP enforcement.

Thanks for voicing your opinion with MCI.

--
Steve Linford
The Spamhaus Project